Re: Flash Player Install Confusion

Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:32:14 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:45:54 -0500 (EST), Camaleón wrote:
>>> My advice is that you get the plugin from Adobe:
>> I'm curious.  Why do you advise getting the plugin directly from Adobe,
>> bypassing the Debian archive? What's wrong with the standard Debian
>> package flashplugin-nonfree?
>
> Sorry, it was not my intention to "bypass" nothing O:-)
>
> It's just that the installation of the Adobe plugin from the Adobe site
> is plain easy to achieve (download, copy and paste), works very well
> (plugin is detected by the browser) and you always get the latest plugin
> available.
>
> Greetings,

Hi, with Flash being prone to security problems I would be worried to
forget about this "customization" and miss an important update, which
the use of Debian packaging system should prevent. When advising this
process it would be a good idea to add that subscribing to whatever rss
feed announcing Adobe Flash updates is a must. Many Flash targeted
attacks take advantage of out of date versions.