Re: Flash Player Install Confusion

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 20:28:58 +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> It's just that the installation of the Adobe plugin from the Adobe site
>> is plain easy to achieve (download, copy and paste), works very well
>> (plugin is detected by the browser) and you always get the latest
>> plugin available.
>>

> Hi, with Flash being prone to security problems I would be worried to
> forget about this "customization" and miss an important update, which
> the use of Debian packaging system should prevent. When advising this
> process it would be a good idea to add that subscribing to whatever rss
> feed announcing Adobe Flash updates is a must. Many Flash targeted
> attacks take advantage of out of date versions.

Yep, I am subscribed to some RSS security chanels. It's a must for admins
and in those days, for anyone browsing the web and getting into
Internet :-)

But a linux targeted flash player attack has not been successfully
exploited -at the momment-, at least to my knowledge.

And, hey, I am most worried by my Iceweasel version, that is still 3.0.6
(unsupported upstream) and I got it from standard Debian packaging system
>:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón