Re: qemu or qemu-kvm for kvm in squeeze

Mark Allums wrote:
However, I myself am now failng to understand the difference between the two. Are you saying that one package is simply a meta- or virtual package pointing to the other, and that installing one installs the other?

Exactly. In squeeze, kvm is still a virtual package provided by qemu-kvm [1]. In sid, it's already a dummy transitional package [2].

I guess the qemu and qemu-kvm package will eventually merge when the kvm specific code will be imported by qemu upstream (if it ever is, I actually haven't followed any discussion about that, just the note on the kvm project frontpage [3]).

Again, this package only provides userspace utilities; the actual kvm subsystem code is in the mainstream kernel and thus should be included in any stock kernel.

Well, that's my understanding of the situation anyway, I'm in no way involved with the development of these projects.

-thib

[1] http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/kvm
[2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/kvm
[3] http://www.linux-kvm.org/