Questions (was Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros ...)

On 2010-03-07 22:10, Mark wrote:
I was just looking at the stats for this thread: 38 total replies (not counting the spinoff/individual replies), of which three were directly helpful responses (thank you Aioanei, Theirry and Bob) which led me to more specific Googling, which led to my ultimate solution.

Have we lost our way a bit on this list?

Only partly. Sometimes, the correct answer to an original question is, "Why the heck do you want to do something as stupid, useless, pointless as <blah>?"

Hopefully it leads OP to more deeply cogitate upon his original question, and either (a) realize his mistake or (b) further elucidate the problem by narrowing the focus or adding more details that weren't in the original problem statement. Otherwise, OP gets defensive and only in the middle of the thread do we learn interesting things like ReiserFS picking up formatted-over blocks.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka