Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 2010-03-06 23:20, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/6/2010 9:11 PM:

1. Old installation using one of more reiserfs file systems.
2. Install Lenny without wiping; use one or more reiserfs file systems.
3. Worst-case scenario file system failure.
4. (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) -> Links files from the old file system into the new file system.

If you are going to put reiserfs on a block device, it is not overly cautious to erase the block device, to avoid (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) from performing necromancy.

One more reason not to use ReiserFS.  The fact it was created by a convicted
murderer being the big one, obviously.

AKA /argumentum ad Hitlerum/. Hitler was a vegetarian, so vegetarianism is wrong.

                                       Long before that, when Reiser was
the hype, I never jumped on the bandwagon.  I stuck with EXT2 until moving
most things to XFS.

And when your machine crashes with unflushed data still in cache, splat goes your xfs partition. Been there, seen that.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka