Re: Vfat or NTFS?

The 4 Gig max filesize of vfat makes it unusable for me.

I used ntfs-3g for more than a year on 4 different HDD, all around 1 TB and had no
problems with stability, data loss or any problems at all.
Performance is ok, but not very fast.
I got rates of max. 15 MByte/s on Encrypted USB 2.0 Truecrypt HDDs.

An Windows ext2/ext3 is also an alternative: http://www.fs-driver.org/
But there are some limitations. Check their FAQ.

I would the the fuse ntfs-3g driver, so you don't have to alter your windows installation
and it is usable at a friend's windows pc.

One problem I encountered with ntfs-3g is that it consumes 99% CPU and the transfer rate
drops below 1 MByte if you got only 10% space left and the data is fragmented.
Keep that in mind.

One contra for ext3 is that is uses 10+ GByte more space for the filesystem and journal
(on 1 TB Drives).

Sebastian