Re: Fresh Debian Install w/o Exim?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/2/2010 1:21 AM:

>>> I'm not convinced this is a statement of fact, but depending on how the
>>> installer does things it could be accurate.
>>
>> Take this for what it's worth:  On my "Swiss Army Knife" server, I installed
>> Sarge fresh in 2006 using a compact net install from boot floppies.  After
>> the base install was complete, I installed Postfix via apt-get.  I don't
>> recall doing any manual removal of Exim.  I've upgraded the system in place
>> all the way to Lenny, over a 4 year period.
>>
>> I currently have the following related to Exim:
>>
>> ~$ locate exim
>> /etc/cron.d/exim
>> /etc/cron.daily/exim
>> /etc/init.d/exim
>> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim
>> /etc/rc0.d/K20exim
>> /etc/rc1.d/K20exim
>> /etc/rc4.d/S20exim
>> /etc/rc5.d/S20exim
>> /etc/rc6.d/K20exim
>> /usr/share/doc/postgrey/README.exim
>> /usr/share/wwwconfig-common/exim-trust.sh
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.36-18.2_i386.deb
>> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.list
>> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.postrm
>> /var/log/exim
>> /var/run/exim
>
> Most of those should be cleaned up by a purge of all the exim packages.  In
> particular all the init scripts, the dpkg data, and probably the cron jobs.

This is probably a result of me installing postfix without uninstalling exim
first.  It's surprising that the apt scripts that installed postfix and
removed exim left all this other stuff which can't possibly work now without
that exim binary being present.

--
Stan