Re: Fresh Debian Install w/o Exim?

In <[🔎] 4B8CC633.7090609@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/2/2010 1:21 AM:

>>> I don't recall doing any manual removal of Exim.  I've upgraded
>>> the system in place all the way to Lenny, over a 4 year period.
>>
>> Most of those should be cleaned up by a purge of all the exim packages.
>> In particular all the init scripts, the dpkg data, and probably the cron
>> jobs.
>
>This is probably a result of me installing postfix without uninstalling exim
>first.  It's surprising that the apt scripts that installed postfix and
>removed exim left all this other stuff which can't possibly work now without
>that exim binary being present.

It's nothing to do with the order your installed packages.  It is the
difference between removed and purged.  Confiles -- files where changes by the
local administrator are preserved when upgrading -- are kept after removal.
While this category covers files that are just configuration, it also covers
init scripts and cron jobs.  Confiles are not deleted when the program is
removed -- so the configuration is preserved if this is just a temporary
removal (required for some complex upgrades).  Confiles are deleted when the
package is purged.

Files that are created by the program at run-time, like logs, databases, and
documents aren't tracked by the package management system, so they must be
deleted manually if you want to get rid of them.