Re: Fresh Debian Install w/o Exim?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/1/2010 2:28 PM:

> Postfix works well in the Debian environment, or so I'm told.

Very well indeed.  I've been using it for years and the only real problem
I've run into was the lack of a syslog socket in the chroot.  That was fixed
with Lenny/2.5.5.  I've no experience with it myself, but IIRC there may be
issues running Postfix multi-instance on Debian.

>> it auto removes Exim4 however still leaves all the
>> orphaned files and junk.*
>
> I'm not convinced this is a statement of fact, but depending on how the
> installer does things it could be accurate.

Take this for what it's worth:  On my "Swiss Army Knife" server, I installed
Sarge fresh in 2006 using a compact net install from boot floppies.  After
the base install was complete, I installed Postfix via apt-get.  I don't
recall doing any manual removal of Exim.  I've upgraded the system in place
all the way to Lenny, over a 4 year period.

I currently have the following related to Exim:

~$ locate exim
/etc/cron.d/exim
/etc/cron.daily/exim
/etc/init.d/exim
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim
/etc/rc0.d/K20exim
/etc/rc1.d/K20exim
/etc/rc4.d/S20exim
/etc/rc5.d/S20exim
/etc/rc6.d/K20exim
/usr/share/doc/postgrey/README.exim
/usr/share/wwwconfig-common/exim-trust.sh
/var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.36-18.2_i386.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.postrm
/var/log/exim
/var/run/exim