Re: Firefox (and Iceweasel) are unable to play Youtube videos

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:26:31 +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> It's "vox populi" that Flash Player is closed source and so cannot/
>> shouldn't be included by default in Debian. You can get it from other
>> sources.

> Clearly, but it does not make things clearer!

There are some packages that fall in a kind of "limbo".

One is Flash Player, needed as much as hated, but it's a matter of fact
that for todays browsing is a "must have".

The other one is Java JRE. There is also a free implementation for this
package (openJDK) but again, some programs/applications work better (in
some cases, only work) with Sun's Java packages, which are not completely
"free".

And there are also the graphic cards drivers. The free ones cannot fully
satisfy the needs that can arise in some environments where closed ones
are the only alternative. But I better shut up on this matter or I'm
being exposed to be treated as a troll O:-)

So we (users) have to deal with this situations every day.

But Debian has a very extensive documentation for all of the above:

http://wiki.debian.org/Flash
http://wiki.debian.org/Java
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

So if in doubt, you can always ask to the list to get more feedback :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón