Re: Wrong magic bytes -> corrupted file?

Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:40:00PM +0100, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>
>> I am encountering
>>
>> ==
>> ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwins.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.
>> ==
>>
>> from ldconfig. Everything seems however to work nicely. Some questions
>> naturally arise:
>>
>> 1. What is the role of libwins.so?
>
> Normally files that are simply .so (without any extra version) under
> */lib/ are symlinks intended for build-time. Maybe this is merely a
> dandling link?
>
> What is the output of:
>
>   ls -l /usr/lib/libwins.so
Not joyful:

==
# ls -l /usr/lib/libwins.so
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/libwins.so: No such file or directory
==

Is it possible, or must this file have disappeared since last try?

> And then again, you can check the magic directly:
>
>   file /usr/lib/libwins.so
By the same mechanism,

==
# file /usr/lib/libwins.so
/usr/lib/libwins.so: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/lib/libwins.so' (No such file or directory)
==

Note that I received this error when installing some packages. (I do
not remember their names, sorry.)

>> 2. Should I simply download libwins.so in BIN from an FTP server, and
>> put it there, to solve the problem?
>
> Is it part of some package? I get no hits for 'apt-file search
> /usr/lib/libwins.so' here (squeeze, amd64).

I do not know. I do not even know its role. I tried googling about it,
but it did not show me anything interesting.

Thanks.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work, and you'll annoy
  the pig.