Re: Grepping fonts for a specific glyph

> So what you are looking for is a kind of file descriptor listing the
> font's capabilities about unicode sygns, right?

That would be great, but I was thinking more about accessing the
glyphs directly. Of course, I have no idea if this is possible but
something like (psuedocode, language soup):

for (fonts in /path/to/fonts) {
    if (  glyph_in_font(א)  ) {
        print $fontName."\n";
    }
}

> I don't know if such file
> is available for easy grepping. My understanting (I can be wrong, of
> course) is that such features are hard-coded within font system libraries
> (as "Pango" in GTK, etc...) :-?

I googled Pango, but I'm still a bit unclear on the whole subject.

>> For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not have
>> Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font is
>> being substituted.
>
> I think standard letters are treated slightly different than extended
> unicode characters.

I see. By standard letters do you mean ASCII characters?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il