Re: Grepping fonts for a specific glyph

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:05:42 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>> I have some (=tens of) unusual fonts which may or may not have that
>>> glyph, I'd like to know.
>>
>> ¿"Tens" or "tons"? :-)
>>
>> If there are less than 25 fonts is a relatively easy/fast task for
>> doing it manually.
>>

> Over 40

Okay, that will take no more than... 5 minutes? :-)

Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is not
available for that font-family.

>> You can search for the glyph code (00a5) and once selected, choose the
>> desired font face from the dropdown menu to check its availabity.
>>

> If a font does not contain the glyph, the system substitutes another
> font. Most apps do this, and I don't know the mechanism behind it so I
> don't know how to prevent it.

I am not following you here :-?

If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode fonts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón