Re: Grepping fonts for a specific glyph

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:58:17 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 28 January 2010 16:40, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:05:42 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
>> fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is not
>> available for that font-family.
>>

> That is fine for a one-time test, but I would like to automate this as
> it is something that I will be doing often in a new project that I am
> involved in.

So what you are looking for is a kind of file descriptor listing the
font's capabilities about unicode sygns, right? I don't know if such file
is available for easy grepping. My understanting (I can be wrong, of
course) is that such features are hard-coded within font system libraries
(as "Pango" in GTK, etc...) :-?

>> If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
>> alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode
>> fonts.
>>

> For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not have
> Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font is
> being substituted.

I think standard letters are treated slightly different than extended
unicode characters.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón