Re: Grepping fonts for a specific glyph

On 28 January 2010 16:40, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ¿"Tens" or "tons"? :-)
>>>
>>> If there are less than 25 fonts is a relatively easy/fast task for
>>> doing it manually.
>>>

>> Over 40
>
> Okay, that will take no more than... 5 minutes? :-)
>
> Open OOo Writer and write down the symbol to test it against all the
> fonts. If some fonts do not display the Aleph, then you know it is not
> available for that font-family.

That is fine for a one-time test, but I would like to automate this as
it is something that I will be doing often in a new project that I am
involved in.

> If the font has not available the symbol, it will display a "fallback
> alternative" sign, this is a suggested standard feature of unicode fonts.

For instance, when I have Hebrew text but use a font that does not
have Hebrew glyphs, I still see Hebrew letters. Obviously another font
is being substituted.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com