Re: Installation of packages from backports, unstable and stable.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:06:39PM +0530, vishnu vardhan wrote:
>    Normally, I install the packages with the following command :
>    aptitude install "package".

Have you trie going into ncurses with the command "aptitude" ? It will give
you some easier ability to resolve dependency issues and set preferences.

When you get the conflict and resolution alert in the ncurses interface, you
can type 'e' to examine and '.' for more solutions.  Just be sure your
preferences are set to not install broken package dependencies!

In the packages descriptions, when there is a conflict warning, you can
drill down through red highlighted dependencies to give yourself an
overview. You can reset to before the dependency conflict with the "undo"
menu item and "Actions > Forget new packages" menu item.

>    Freeman | there is no apt.conf file at /etc/apt/.
>    However the following files are located at /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/* :
>    00trustcdrom********** 15update-stamp******** 70debconf
>    01autoremove********** 20archive************* 99update-notifier
>    10periodic************ 50unattended-upgrades*

You have to put it there. As root:

 echo 'APT::Default-Release "stable";' > apt.conf

Then you can leave higher level repositories open in your sources list.

>    I tried to install amarok, but it is showing various conflicts.
>    I have decided not to install unstable or any other packages for that
>    matter.
>    I am satisfied with the Debian as it is.

See if you get more amarok option by includinng the multimedia repository
below.

My sources.list below sig.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

## Disk
### Onboard Repository
deb file:/srv/debs/ general proprietary tarballs

########################
##### BASE SOURCES #####
########################

## Security
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

## Stable OSU
 deb ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
# deb-src ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

## Stable Debian
# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

## Squeeze OSU
 deb ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
# deb-src ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

## Squeeze Debian
# deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

## Unstable OSU
 deb ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
# deb-src ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

## Unstable Debian
# deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

## Experimental OSU
# deb ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
# deb-src ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

########################
## ADDITIONAL SOURCES ##
########################

## Backports
### Improvements for lenny
# deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ lenny-backports main contrib non-free

## Unofficial
### Various Unstable
#deb http://unofficial.debian-maintainers.org/ sid/snapshots main contrib non-free restricted
# deb-src http://unofficial.debian-maintainers.org/ sid/snapshots main contrib non-free restricted

## Proposed Updates 4.0 release
### Preliminary Packages
 deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ proposed-updates main contrib non-free

## Volatile
### Rapidly Changing Updates
# deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/ lenny/volatile main contrib non-free
### Rapidly Changing Risky
# deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/ lenny/volatile-sloppy main contrib non-free

## Proposed Updates Volatile--danger Will Robinson!
### Extremely Risky
# deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/ lenny-proposed-updates/volatile main contrib non-free

########################
### EXTERNAL SOURCES ###