Re: Installation of packages from backports, unstable and stable.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:46:05AM -0800, evenso wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:06:39PM +0530, vishnu vardhan wrote:
> >    Normally, I install the packages with the following command :
> >    aptitude install "package".
>
> Have you trie going into ncurses with the command "aptitude" ? It will give
> you some easier ability to resolve dependency issues and set preferences.
>
> When you get the conflict and resolution alert in the ncurses interface, you
> can type 'e' to examine and '.' for more solutions.  Just be sure your
> preferences are set to not install broken package dependencies!
>
> In the packages descriptions, when there is a conflict warning, you can
> drill down through red highlighted dependencies to give yourself an
> overview. You can reset to before the dependency conflict with the "undo"
> menu item and "Actions > Forget new packages" menu item.
>

> >    Freeman | there is no apt.conf file at /etc/apt/.
> >    However the following files are located at /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/* :
> >    00trustcdrom********** 15update-stamp******** 70debconf
> >    01autoremove********** 20archive************* 99update-notifier
> >    10periodic************ 50unattended-upgrades*
> >

> You have to put it there. As root:
>
>  echo 'APT::Default-Release "stable";' > apt.conf
>
> Then you can leave higher level repositories open in your sources list.

P.S. You could look around for a numbering protocol for a Default-Release
file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d .  (I believe the apt.conf file will simply take
precedence over duplications.) Or maybe somebody can make a recommendations.

I don't have it because I never modernize until I have no choice.  :-)

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman