Re: popping laptop speakers

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Nima Azarbayjany <i.adore.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

I've got an annoying problem with my laptop which is a Pavilion dv5.  I have the latest kernel 2.6.32.

The problem is that at reboot the speakers make a loud noise which I fear may damage hardware.  This problem existed with somewhat older kernels and it was worse.  There used to be sounds generated also at suspend.  I don't know whether this should be reported as a bug and if so where it should go.  I thought here is the most relevant place so I posted to this list.  I have attached the output of lspci and lsmod to this email but I don't know how to get you more data (such as probably logs).  I know this is not enough.  So please help me.

These threads show that already so many people are having such a problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/23984
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/352540/+activity
<snip>

I also experience this with Debian Squeeze on intel hda audio hardware. It's never really bothered me and I'm not concerned that it will do any damage. I can tell you what I would try if I was concerned:

I'd begin by disabling ALSA from starting at boot. Once I get to a console I'd initialize ALSA using /etc/init.d/alsa start or some varient thereof.  Assuming this experient localized the problem to alsa's initialization, I'd then experiment with muting all channels and stopping, then starting alsa.

These two or three steps wouldn't solve the problem, but they'd at least give me a direction to start looking in.

Best,
Arthur