Re: Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 20:39, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-01-22 21:02 +0100, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox
>> releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is
>> shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases
>> Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox
>> 64 bits version.
>
> I'm afraid the answer is "build it from source yourself".  There's no
> official 64-bit tarball (and most likely there won't be any before
> Firefox 4.0), and builds from other distributions will likely require
> newer libraries than available in Lenny.

But there are 64-bit Linux nightlies available. And if you dl, extract and
run one of those, it will automatically update from trunk (i.e. it will never
branch for 3.7, just move from 3.7pre to 3.8pre). I have found nightlies
to be very stable, as is the 64-bit Flash beta (the only plugin I use).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers