Re: Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

Sven Hoexter wrote:

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:39:27PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-01-22 21:02 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for Firefox releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and Lenny is shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on Releases Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the latest Firefox 64 bits version.
I'm afraid the answer is "build it from source yourself".  There's no
official 64-bit tarball (and most likely there won't be any before
Firefox 4.0), and builds from other distributions will likely require
newer libraries than available in Lenny.

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl added Iceweasel 3.5 and the complementing
xulrunner release to backports.org a few days ago. So far I can see build
packages for amd64 and ppc.
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=iceweasel&suite=lenny-backports

If and when backports of Iceweasel 3.6 will be available depends on when
it will enter testing and if it's possible to build it on lenny.

Sven

The latest firefox is 3.7.

I'm running firefox 3.6 Beta4 and it runs as a charm (amd64).

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/releasenotes/

mess-mate