Re: console resolution

>Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
>
>> set gfxpayload=keep will tell Grub2 to hand off the graphics settings
>> to the kernel, which if configured properly will carry them forward.
>> There are some other settings to tweak as well, insmod vbe and whatnot
>> in the appropriate file, but that's about the gist of it. The nice
>> thing is it makes for very smooth transitions when switching from
>> terminal to x, as the display settings (if correctly configured) are
>> already applied, thus, no ugly flashing of the screen and delay.
>>
>> Best,
>> Arthur
>
> Would you please explain how and where to insert this into Grub's
> configuration?  I played with /etc/default/grub and update-grub but no
> success.
>
>> Jeffrey Cao wrote in another post that grub2 can support the traditional
>> vga kernel option by means of editing /etc/default/grub and adding the
>> line
>>
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"
>>
>> and then running "update-grub" to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.  But I
>> haven't tried it myself.  I'm not going to de-install lilo and install
>> grub2 to find out.  But next time I try a Squeeze install from scratch,
>> I might give it a try.
> I tried this one but it too didn't work.  It says that vga=xxx is
> deprecated.
>
>> Jeffrey Cao wrote in another post that grub2 can support the traditional
>> vga kernel option by means of editing /etc/default/grub and adding the
>> line
>>
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"
>>
>> and then running "update-grub" to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.  But I
>> haven't tried it myself.  I'm not going to de-install lilo and install
>> grub2 to find out.  But next time I try a Squeeze install from scratch,
>> I might give it a try.
> This one did not work as well.
>
> I guess I'm going to install grub1 for now.
>
> Nima

Hi, I use a slightly different way, I put:

GRUB_GFXMODE="1440x900 640x480"

in /etc/defaults/grub (native resolution first, fall-back one isn't
necessary, it's the default).

Then in /etc/grub.d/00_header I add gfxpayload=keep to this section
(around line 80):
[...]
if loadfont `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${GRUB_FONT_PATH}` ; then
  set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
  set gfxpayload=keep             <<<<<<<  here it is

  insmod gfxterm
  insmod ${GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND}

  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
[...]
It's working for me on Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu, but needs to be
updated if 00_header is overwritten during update (not often). It's just
a workaround until gfxpayload= is picked up in /etc/default/grub.

My 2 cents.