Re: Re: console resolution

set gfxpayload=keep will tell Grub2 to hand off the graphics settings to the kernel, which if configured properly will carry them forward. There are some other settings to tweak as well, insmod vbe and whatnot in the appropriate file, but that's about the gist of it. The nice thing is it makes for very smooth transitions when switching from terminal to x, as the display settings (if correctly configured) are already applied, thus, no ugly flashing of the screen and delay.

Best,
Arthur

Would you please explain how and where to insert this into Grub's configuration? I played with /etc/default/grub and update-grub but no success.

Jeffrey Cao wrote in another post that grub2 can support the traditional
vga kernel option by means of editing /etc/default/grub and adding the
line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"

and then running "update-grub" to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.  But I
haven't tried it myself.  I'm not going to de-install lilo and install
grub2 to find out.  But next time I try a Squeeze install from scratch,
I might give it a try.
I tried this one but it too didn't work. It says that vga=xxx is deprecated.

Jeffrey Cao wrote in another post that grub2 can support the traditional
vga kernel option by means of editing /etc/default/grub and adding the
line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"

and then running "update-grub" to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.  But I
haven't tried it myself.  I'm not going to de-install lilo and install
grub2 to find out.  But next time I try a Squeeze install from scratch,
I might give it a try.
This one did not work as well.

I guess I'm going to install grub1 for now.

Nima