Re: console resolution

On 2010-01-22 at 12:08:56 -0500, Arthur Machlas wrote:
> set gfxpayload=keep will tell Grub2 to hand off the graphics settings to the
> kernel, which if configured properly will carry them forward. There are some
> other settings to tweak as well, insmod vbe and whatnot in the appropriate
> file, but that's about the gist of it. The nice thing is it makes for very
> smooth transitions when switching from terminal to x, as the display
> settings (if correctly configured) are already applied, thus, no ugly
> flashing of the screen and delay.

So then this is designed to work with framebuffer graphics mode virtual
consoles, right?  That wouldn't help me.  I prefer the traditional
hardware text mode virtual consoles.  That's why I use the vga option
and lilo.  I've even configured lilo to do all of its own output in text mode.

Jeffrey Cao wrote in another post that grub2 can support the traditional
vga kernel option by means of editing /etc/default/grub and adding the
line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"

and then running "update-grub" to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.  But I
haven't tried it myself.  I'm not going to de-install lilo and install
grub2 to find out.  But next time I try a Squeeze install from scratch,
I might give it a try.  For now, I'm very happy with my old friend lilo.