Re: problem whit optic fibre adapter (emulex LP952)

Marco Vaschetto put forth on 1/20/2010 2:36 PM:
> Stan Hoeppner ha scritto:
>> This may point you in the right direction:
>> http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1263982812391+28353475&threadId=760337
>>

>> Looks like you might need to update the card's firmware, try it in
>> another PCI-X
>> slot, or remove all the other PCI/X cards to see if there is a
>> conflict.  I
>> don't have any direct experience with FC cards and Linux, only VMware
>> ESX.  I
>> have seen situations where drivers fail when the card is not attached
>> to a
>> switch.  Way back in the day I've seen SCSI drivers fail during boot
>> if there
>> were no drives attached.  Goofy stuff.
>>
>> I'm betting you're in a similar goofy situation.  That card and driver
>> combo
>> appear to be finicky.
>>

> I try to take out all the pci device, but infect I never try to take out
> the pci array controller I hope the machine can start whit ide
> controller on-board
>
> now I fix the problem of libfc before is missing now have in the new
> kernel but the problem still have.
>
> Later try whit out a array controller pci my idea is finish.
>
> anyone have some idea?

Did you read the first post in the document linked above at hp.com?  Have you
updated the adapter firmware to the latest version?  (Ignore the 2nd and 3rd
posts as that driver kit is 6 years old now)

Also, hardware drivers are kernel components.  You're better off asking for help
with this FC adapter on the Linux-scsi list or lkml than on debian-users.

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-scsi

Debian is not a "commercial" distribution.  Fiber channel is only found in
commercial environments.  Thus, most of the people around the world using FC
adapters with Linux are NOT using Debian Linux, but rather Red Hat Enterprise or
SuSE Linux.  Notice I am the only person on this list to try to help you?  And
as I previously stated, I've not actually used FC cards with Linux on bare
metal.  You need to be talking to an audience that actually has FC experience on
bare metal Linux.  You may even try a SuSE or Red Hat mailing list as well.

Sorry I couldn't be or more help.

--
Stan