Re: modprobe vboxdrv failed (virtualbox-ose 3.1.2-dfsg-1+b1)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:38, Florian Kriener <florian@kriener.org> wrote:

>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > This means that your vboxdrv module is not compiled for your
>> > current kernel version, so you will have to use module-assistant to
>> > fix that.

I thought that was what dkms was for.

>> It sounds as if dkms hasn't been installed. There is a reference
>> somewhere on the VirtualBox web site.

It was installed, the pastebin dump is mostly the post-script of the
dkms installation. It compiles the driver, but wont modprobe it.

> You could be wrong, because I had exactly the same problem. After a
> kernel update (from ..-n to ..-n+1 - I don't know the exact versions)
> the module would not load anymore. I guess it's a bug in either the
> kernel package, in not raising the right version number (i.e. new
> package name), or in dkms for not updating the modules. However the
> problem solved itself after the next kernel update.

That was my first guess and i tried going to the previous kernel, but
it didn't work then 'cos i didn't have dkms i guess. It's now working
with 2.6.31-1-amd64, after using dpkg-reconfigure on the dkms package.

Thanks,
Nuno

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail