Re: FreeNet and Java

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:52:18 +0000, AG wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> 1/ What about the "about:plugins" in Iceape? Can you see the Sun's java
>> JRE there?
>>

> I can see:
>
> java.default_java_location_others;/usr/java
> java.default_java_location_solaris;/usr/j2se
> java.global_java_version_file;/etc/.java/versions
> java.java_plugin_library_name;javaplugin_oji
> java.private_java_version_file;~/.java/versions
>
> And some more strings about javascript, but nothing on the sun-java6-*
> that I *believe* I have installed

Ok. Then check you already have Sun's Java JRE by openning your preferred
package manager and searching from there.

The package you are looking for is named:

sun-java6-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
independent files)

IIRC, I had to enable the "non-free" repo in order to get it.

>> 2/ Can you run any java applet from Iceape? Go here and copy/paste the
>> results:
>>
>> http://www.javatester.org/version.html
>>

> I don't see the "pink rectangle" with any lines of text as one would
> expect from Method 1 on this page.  I guess that I can conclude that
> Iceape is not picking up the Java either, even though I do have the
> "enable Java" option ticked in Edit/ Preferences/ Advanced tab.

O.k. Let's assume now that you have not installed the runtime environment
(JRE).

>> Are you sure Midori browser can work with java? As per this forum
>> thread, it seems having no support :-?
>>
>> http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=5190.0
>>

> Well, that would explain Midori and also render Midori useless as a
> dedicated FreeNet browser then.

I think so.

But let's hope at least you can launch it from Iceape :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón