Re: FreeNet and Java

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:53:07 +0000, AG wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> I ran a quick check using update-alternatives --config java it showed
>>> that I was already running sun-java6 and that this option was already
>>> checked.  Can anyone help me to understand why this may be the case?
>>> I used Midori as the browser dedicated to use FreeNet, and Midori does
>>> not have an option to do about:config as a Mozilla-based browser does,
>>> so I cannot check directly (at least, not as far as I know).
>>>

>> It seems your browser (Midori) is not recognizing the Java JRE
>> properly, so try to go to java test page [1] with Midori and see what
>> Java version is detecting.
>>
>> Also, be sure that the browser supports the java plugin.
>>
>> [1] http://www.java.com/es/download/installed.jsp

> Thanks Camaleón
>
> I went to the site and ran Midori, Epiphany and Iceape against it.
> Iceape indicated that I needed to download and install a missing library
> file jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin from
> http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=35675

No need to do that.

The "java test page" just tells you 2 things:

- If your browser detects "any" java plugin installed
- If the detected java plugin is the latest version available

In your case, I guess it is detecting the java plugin but just "warns"
you about the version you have installed. If that is case, ignore that
warning and do not download nor install anything from there.

Can you run FreeNet from Iceape?

> This creates a further query: will this conflict with my sun-java6-*
> installation if I installed it?

Yes.

> But, if the response from Iceape is anything to go by, then the right
> Java component is not installed.

You have to test it with Midori, the browser you are going to use to
launch Freenet.

BTW, what are the results of the java test page runned from Midori?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón