Re: FreeNet and Java

Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:33:35 +0000, AG wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

Can you run FreeNet from Iceape?

No - not from:

    Iceape
    Midori
    Epiphany
    Opera
    Iceweasel

And you get the same message from all of them? :-?

Yes

<snip>

The point here is to determine if you already have the Java JRE installed
and the output of "update-alternatives --config" you said before
indicated that is currently installed.

You have to test it with Midori, the browser you are going to use to
launch Freenet.

I accept that.  I was only suggesting that the response from Iceape
provided a clue.

Yes. Two questions about this:

1/ What about the "about:plugins" in Iceape? Can you see the Sun's java
JRE there?

I can see:

java.default_java_location_others;/usr/java
java.default_java_location_solaris;/usr/j2se
java.global_java_version_file;/etc/.java/versions
java.java_plugin_library_name;javaplugin_oji
java.private_java_version_file;~/.java/versions

And some more strings about _javascript_, but nothing on the sun-java6-* that I *believe* I have installed

2/ Can you run any java applet from Iceape? Go here and copy/paste the
results:

http://www.javatester.org/version.html

I don't see the "pink rectangle" with any lines of text as one would expect from Method 1 on this page.  I guess that I can conclude that Iceape is not picking up the Java either, even though I do have the "enable Java" option ticked in Edit/ Preferences/ Advanced tab.

<snip>

Are you sure Midori browser can work with java? As per this forum thread,
it seems having no support :-?

http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=5190.0

Well, that would explain Midori and also render Midori useless as a dedicated FreeNet browser then.

Thanks