Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

Allen <GedankeZauberer@comcast.net> wrote:

> And YAST2 is probably the best system tool ever done.

Hmm, Yast made me want to hurt small things the last (and first) time I
used it. I'm increasingly wondering that this might have been a
fault at my end, since a lot of people seem to like it now. Has it
improved drastically over the past six or so years?

> > > web browser: Opera, Elinks, Links, Lynx, Netscape when it was
> > > around.... Seamonkey
> >
> > Opera and Netscape should have gone to non-free
>
> Opera isn't listed on the Debian.org package list, and I think I
> found a .deb package for it, but I don't even remember where. But it
> wasn't on the install CDs, and wasn't on their servers. I love Opera
> though, it's fast and nice. Can't stand Firefox.

Opera do have a repository of .deb packages for *buntu, and I'm pretty
sure they do a Debian one. You can certainly download .debs of it from
their site.
Every few months I decide Opera's amazing and switch back to it, then
remember how badly I get along with the search-from-the-address-bar
thing.

> I know, Seamonkey isn't Firefox though. Seamonkey is it's own thing.
> Firefox is a slow VERY laggy bloated browser. Seamonkey is what they
> probably think of when they write the brochures for their firefox
> crap since Seamonkey isn't slow and actually looks nice and works
> well. Seamonkey works way better for me, but making it work on
> anything isn't exactly a walk in the park since the only distro I
> have that actually includes it is Slackware.

There was an announcement to the effect of a new Seamonkey release
a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, from what I gather (through very
limited research) it looks to be Thunderbird + Firefox rather than a
progression of the goodness that is Seamonkey.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)