Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 05:51:08 am Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:17, Allen<GedankeZauberer@comcast.net> wrote:
> > desktop environment OR window manager: KDE, Gnome, LXDE, Window Maker,
> > Enlightenment, FVWM, FVWM2, FVWM Crystal (Yes, I do in fact use every one
> > of those, all the time. I like having options on how my desktop will
> > behave at any given time, and sometimes I want one that looks different
> > like FVWM or WindowMaker.)
>
> am sure am not the only one curious how you juggle all this diversity

Easy, today I felt like KDE, so I am using KDE right now to type this. If I
feel like another tomorrow, I'll log back in with that one. On my FreeBSD box
I'm using KDE too, and on my slackware box I have window Maker loaded.
Depends which one I want to use. I like how I don't have to use one single
Windowing system like in early to later version of Windows before someone
made an X thing for Windows.

> > games: dungeoncrawl!!!!  And basically every FPS from id (DooM, DooM2,
> > Final DooM, DooM3, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Quake 4) and The UT games.
>
> so u've played all these!

Yea. I got Unreal Tournament Game of the Year edition when it was still kinda
new and loved it. I was at Radio Shack and they had a computer set up with
it, and while my Mom and Aunt were shopping, I played ti and loved it, and
asked the guy what it was and if they sold it, but they didn't so I went to
Best Buy and picked it up, and played it a lot. Eventually,  got the rest of
the series as they came out. A few years ago I got "DooM Collector's Edition"
on CD as a gift for Christmas, and it has Ultimate DooM, DooM2, And Final
DooM on it, and I played for like 17 hours straight, and loved it. Even
though the game was already old since this was only a few years ago, I didn't
care, I loved it. And then a few years ago for my Birthday I got Quake (Paid
for download) and I loved it too. I also ended up getting Quake 2 and then
Quake3, and then like 4 years ago I got  DooM3 and Quake 4. They're the only
games I play on a computer other than Dungeoncrawl. I recently started
playing it this year and I like it.

> > package manager: Yast2, APT, PKGTOOL, Swaret I guess
>
> nice one that you mention Yast2. You still using SuSE (or derivative)?

Yea I really like SUSE. It's the only big corporate friendly one I actually
like. I still think that SUSE Linux 8.1 and 8.2 Professional were two of the
best OSs ever released. I loved them and basically learned what I know under
them. The first time I got online finally with Linux since it was a problem
for me for a long time, and the first time I got sound to work in Linux was
all in SUSE. It's a great distro that has help for someone new, but it isn't
a distro that holds you back either once you've learned your craft. And YAST2
is probably the best system tool ever done.

> > pdf/ps-reader: No clue
>
> EG Evince, xpdf...

I knew what that was, I just didn't use many enough to list one.

> > web browser: Opera, Elinks, Links, Lynx, Netscape when it was around....
> > Seamonkey
>
> Opera and Netscape should have gone to non-free

Opera isn't listed on the Debian.org package list, and I think I found a .deb
package for it, but I don't even remember where. But it wasn't on the install
CDs, and wasn't on their servers. I love Opera though, it's fast and nice.
Can't stand Firefox.

> > Sure would be nice if Opera and Seamonkey could be installed from apt-get
> > ;)

> Iceape is Debian's unbranded version, though it currently is available
> only from Etch and Sid:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=iceape

I know, Seamonkey isn't Firefox though. Seamonkey is it's own thing. Firefox
is a slow VERY laggy bloated browser. Seamonkey is what they probably think
of when they write the brochures for their firefox crap since Seamonkey isn't
slow and actually looks nice and works well. Seamonkey works way better for
me, but making it work on anything isn't exactly a walk in the park since the
only distro I have that actually includes it is Slackware.

--
http://www.myspace.com/farmacyofhorror
Digital Horror Punk - Music I make! All done with LMMS