Re: Optical Dell Mouse - seems standard doesn't work on xorg

Thomas Douillard wrote:

           Thomas Douillard wrote:

                       2009/10/27 Aioanei Rares
        <debian.dev.list@gmail.com <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>>>

                  Thomas Douillard wrote:

                      Seems not to, and nothing happens if I "cat
               /dev/input/mice"
                      and move the mouse. It is a usb mouse.

                      I tried "gpm -m /dev/input/mice".
                      2009/10/27 Aioanei Rares
        <debian.dev.list@gmail.com <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>
                      <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>>
                      <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>
                      <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
               <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
        <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>>>>

                         Thomas Douillard wrote:

                             Hi, I've got a problem since an upgrade
        (I don't
               kwon since
                             when unfortunately), my standard optical
        wheel
               mouse don't
                             work anymore on X, on an debian SID

                             I don't know who I must blame (hal, udev, the
               kernel, xorg
                             ...) so I can't post a bugreport on the good
               package. I'll
                             attach some logfiles, if anyone can help
        me or
               suggest
                      a way
                             to proceed ...

                             I also filed a udevadm test, if it can
        help ...

                             --
                             Thomas

                         Thomas, does it work in console if you enable
        gpm?

                  Just to be sure, did you try to plug it in another USB
               port? And
                  when I said console, I meant enable gpm to start at
        boot,
               reboot,
                  press alt+ctrl+Fx and see if it moves.

               Yep, I did.

               I also purged and reinstalled gpm, rebooted, checked
        the mouse
               in console, just to be sure also, it did not worked as
               expected (since cat /dev/input/mice don't do anything,
        and it
               is the device used by gpm by default)

               I can add that I'm quite sure it is related to the model of
               the mouse : I tried with an identical mouse, it did'nt
        work,
               with a microsoft one therer was no problems.

               It may be related with a similar issue on ubuntu :
               but may not : in this issue the keyboard (same model as
        me I
               think) did not work also, while mine works. The
        workaround I
               found on his computer to solve the problem on his
        computer did
               not work on mine : I added a mouse and keyboard section
        as old
               times in the xorg.conf file.

               Thomas

           Well, it's not only a Xorg problem as long as you see it in the
           console. AFAICS from the Ubuntu bug, looks like a kernel
        problem,
           but since their kernel is different from ours, you might
        wanna try
           an (preferably older) kernel and if that works, report a bug.

        I tried that just after the upgrade, and the symptoms where
        the same with the pre-upgrade kernel version at the time, so I
        suspect it's not really a kernel problem ... plus the dmeg's
        correctly recognize a HID device, as the dmesg attatched to my
        first mail shows ... I suspect bug in udev rules or a bug in
        hal, but since I don't really know how all this work ... I may
        post a bug in the udev package for a start ...

        PS : I forgot to reply to the list, I copy paste the
        discussion, sorry for that ...

    Would you please post the exact kernel versions you are using?

Kernel versions tested : * 2.6.30-1-686 #1 SMP * 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP (but it warns me at boot time that the kernel is two old for this version of udev - no sysfs)
* 2.6.29-2-686 #1 SMP

I'm sure that the 2.6.26 and olders did not had any problems with this mouse, so I doubt the problem comes from the kernel itself.

My udev version is 146-6 and my hal-version is 0.5.13-3

You want to post a bugreport on the kernel package ?

Thomas
Yes, and if I'm mistaken, the developers will know what to fill this bug against.