Re: Optical Dell Mouse - seems standard doesn't work on xorg

2009/10/27 Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
Thomas Douillard wrote:

2009/10/27 Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list@gmail.com <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>

   Thomas Douillard wrote:

               2009/10/27 Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list@gmail.com
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>>

          Thomas Douillard wrote:

              Seems not to, and nothing happens if I "cat
       /dev/input/mice"
              and move the mouse. It is a usb mouse.

              I tried "gpm -m /dev/input/mice".
              2009/10/27 Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list@gmail.com
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
              <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>
              <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>
              <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com
       <mailto:debian.dev.list@gmail.com>>>>

                 Thomas Douillard wrote:

                     Hi, I've got a problem since an upgrade (I don't
       kwon since
                     when unfortunately), my standard optical wheel
       mouse don't
                     work anymore on X, on an debian SID

                     I don't know who I must blame (hal, udev, the
       kernel, xorg
                     ...) so I can't post a bugreport on the good
       package. I'll
                     attach some logfiles, if anyone can help me or
       suggest
              a way
                     to proceed ...

                     I also filed a udevadm test, if it can help ...

                     --
                     Thomas

                 Thomas, does it work in console if you enable gpm?

          Just to be sure, did you try to plug it in another USB
       port? And
          when I said console, I meant enable gpm to start at boot,
       reboot,
          press alt+ctrl+Fx and see if it moves.

       Yep, I did.

       I also purged and reinstalled gpm, rebooted, checked the mouse
       in console, just to be sure also, it did not worked as
       expected (since cat /dev/input/mice don't do anything, and it
       is the device used by gpm by default)

       I can add that I'm quite sure it is related to the model of
       the mouse : I tried with an identical mouse, it did'nt work,
       with a microsoft one therer was no problems.

       It may be related with a similar issue on ubuntu :
       but may not : in this issue the keyboard (same model as me I
       think) did not work also, while mine works. The workaround I
       found on his computer to solve the problem on his computer did
       not work on mine : I added a mouse and keyboard section as old
       times in the xorg.conf file.

       Thomas

   Well, it's not only a Xorg problem as long as you see it in the
   console. AFAICS from the Ubuntu bug, looks like a kernel problem,
   but since their kernel is different from ours, you might wanna try
   an (preferably older) kernel and if that works, report a bug.

I tried that just after the upgrade, and the symptoms where the same with the pre-upgrade kernel version at the time, so I suspect it's not really a kernel problem ... plus the dmeg's correctly recognize a HID device, as the dmesg attatched to my first mail shows ... I suspect bug in udev rules or a bug in hal, but since I don't really know how all this work ... I may post a bug in the udev package for a start ...

PS : I forgot to reply to the list, I copy paste the discussion, sorry for that ...
Would you please post the exact kernel versions you are using?

Kernel versions tested :
* 2.6.30-1-686 #1 SMP
* 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP (but it warns me at boot time that the kernel is two old for this version of udev - no sysfs)
* 2.6.29-2-686 #1 SMP

I'm sure that the 2.6.26 and olders did not had any problems with this mouse, so I doubt the problem comes from the kernel itself.

My udev version is 146-6 and my hal-version is 0.5.13-3

You want to post a bugreport on the kernel package ?

Thomas