Re: tasksel problems

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 07:26:54PM +1030, Matthew Smith wrote:
> Quoth Matthew Smith at 2009-10-12 12:29...
> > So, how do I get the nice tasksel menu (with all the options) that I get
> > when booted from netinst?  (I won't even ask why the mirrors won't work
> > when they did 5 days ago when I did the original install.)
>
> Not exactly answering my own question, just doing a follow-up FYI:

[...]
> * LVM+crypt is a pain and makes me question whether it is ready, as it
> is, for prime-time.  I have decided instead just to try really hard not
> to get my laptop stolen.  To do this, I will rely on my PacSafe
> armoured, anti-theft case and some common sense ;-)

I've not used LVM+crypt from the installer directly, though I've
retrofitted it to my laptop. It can be a pain (kernel upgrades are
always scary, yet somehow seem to always work), but I find it worth it
for peace of mind. I know that my setup is not bulletproof, but it
will disuade most, and certainly is enough for my purposes and the
level of security my data requires.

I'm not suggesting you wipe and restart. You can certainly retroactively use
crypt on one of your logical volumes (say, /home, perhaps) so that the
bulk of your data is secured reasonably well. Moving /tmp into tmpfs
may be wise as well. Then the only thing to worry about is swap and
possibly resume images stored there. It's all a matter of what level
of risk you're comfortable with, how valuable your data really is to
someone else, and so forth.