Re: tasksel problems

Quoth Andrew Sackville-West at 2009-10-13 00:34...
> I've not used LVM+crypt from the installer directly, though I've
> retrofitted it to my laptop. It can be a pain (kernel upgrades are
> always scary, yet somehow seem to always work), but I find it worth it
> for peace of mind. I know that my setup is not bulletproof, but it
> will disuade most, and certainly is enough for my purposes and the
> level of security my data requires.
>
> I'm not suggesting you wipe and restart. You can certainly retroactively use
> crypt on one of your logical volumes (say, /home, perhaps) so that the
> bulk of your data is secured reasonably well. Moving /tmp into tmpfs
> may be wise as well. Then the only thing to worry about is swap and
> possibly resume images stored there. It's all a matter of what level
> of risk you're comfortable with, how valuable your data really is to
> someone else, and so forth.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I was going to retro-fit the encrypted partitions in the first place but
had not put /boot in a separate partition.  Attempts to use gparted to
resize / (using Knoppix CD) were unsuccessful so I gave up and decided
to do it the "proper" way.

However, as the "proper" way caused me problems - including making it
VERY hard to install the backports kernel I need for my wlan - I'll
certainly see if I can use the original recipe I was using once I've got
the system up and running again.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/