Re: When to expect a kernel commit in Debian stable's kernel?

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 01:36:59PM +0200, Felix H. Dahlke wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 12:42 +0200, thveillon.debian wrote:
> > gspca has been inside the kernel since 2.6.27 onward.
>
> Ah, the missing link, thank you!
>
> > So from 2.6.27 you don't need any other source package, just userland tools.
> > If you add debian backport to your sources.list I believe you'll have
> > access to a 2.6.30 kernel, with gspca compiled as a module most probably.
>
> Yes, it was my mistake to assume that the 2.6.30 kernel offered to me by
> aptitude search was from the stable repositories - I already have the
> lenny backports repository.
>
> However, I'm wondering why aptitude search and aptitude install show and
> install packages from backports when I'm not specifically using -t
> lenny-backports. That's a bit creepy.

No.  It is for your sake :-)  You may not wish to use all of the
backported packages.  We make this kind of archives as NotAutomatic
archives.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_volatile_and_backports_org
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_archive_level_release_files

> Nonetheless, I've installed linux-image-2.6.30-bpo.2-686 (I think the
> bpo stands for backport, but what does the .2 stand for? If a .3 was
> released, would I automatically get it when updating?) and the webcam is
> recognised properly - this solves my case.

That depends on how you set up /etc/apt/preferences .  Default is not.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_tweaking_candidate_version

> In fact, it doesn't work (merely a black screen in cheese), so I'll just
> return it to the shop. Anyways, thanks for the fast help, really
> appreciated!

For my case, I needed to put some non-free driver binary from MacOS to
USB connected camera.  Please google info specific to your hardware.

Osamu