Re: When to expect a kernel commit in Debian stable's kernel?

On 2009-10-10_00:19:12, Felix H. Dahlke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite new to Debian, and wondering how long it usually takes for a
> kernel patch to go through unstable and testing to stable.
>
> The particular commit I'm interested in is:
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/5d1d221f596f
>
> I believe the respective debian package is gspca-modules (I have
> gspca-modules-2.6.26-2-686 version 2.6.26+01.00.20-6+lenny1)
>
> The Ubuntu folks have added it some months ago:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-June/009816.html
>
> Does the fact that they did it increase the chances of getting it into
> Debian in any way? I guess it would be true the other way around.
>
> I'm seeing a couple of 2.6.30 packages in the lenny repositories. Since
> it was added to Ubuntu with their 2.6.28 kernel, can I expect the Debian
> build (i.e. gspca-modules) of 2.6.30 to contain it?
>
> The reference to Ubuntu is by no means intended as an offence; stability
> is one of the reasons why I'm using Debian (stable) after all :)

Ubuntu and Debian have different goals and commitments. Debian
supports installations on many different hardware/CPU architectures
than does Ubuntu.  There is more involved in getting a kernel
cheched-out for Debian. A kernel is a special problem as it can have
bad interactions with almost any user space program or package. Debian
supports many more packages than Ubuntu.

Many users of Debian, even users of the desktop, non-server
installations like stability really a *lot*. Different goals,
different commitments, and different users result in different
behavior. I think these differences are also discussed in much this
way in a few paragraphs of the Ubuntu philosophy statement on their
web site.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net