Re: When to expect a kernel commit in Debian stable's kernel?

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 14:04 +0200, thveillon.debian wrote:
> > However, I'm wondering why aptitude search and aptitude install show and
> > install packages from backports when I'm not specifically using -t
> > lenny-backports. That's a bit creepy.
>
> You can use preferences for that purpose.

I never felt like fiddling with pinning, which is why I never did.
That's why I was quite surprised that some packages where offered per
default. It turned out that the only packages affected by this behaviour
are those related to kernel 2.6.30, I assume the maintainers have a
reason for this.

> Sorry about that, could you share what this bad apple usb ID is (lsusb
> output) ?

Why of course: The USB ID is 093a:2620.
Here's what lsusb has to say:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 093a:2620 Pixart Imaging, Inc.

The reason why I was interested in that particular commit was it's
message:
"gspca - pac7311: Webcam 093a:2620 added."

Here's the URL: http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/5d1d221f596f

But my webcam is _not_ an Apollo AC-905, it's from a cheap brand
ironically called "Superior" which, I believe, only exists in Germany.

Their model number for it is PC731, but Google doesn't know anything
about it.

I hoped that those "Superior" folks merely took some webcam (which
happened to have the ID 093a:2620) and put their branding on it.
Apparently, something else is different about it.

I'm pretty unsure about whether to annoy the pac7311 developer with that
device, since it's obviously not exactly widespread, plus I'm going to
return it anyways, because the person I'm trying to install it for needs
a webcam ASAP.

During my research on this problem, I've at least finally found a couple
of places to look for webcam compatibility, so I'll hopefully make a
better buy next time.