Re: When to expect a kernel commit in Debian stable's kernel?

Felix H. Dahlke wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 18:25 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Between releases, stable is only updated to fix RC bugs.
>
> Does that imply that there is no kernel release within one stable life
> cycle? If so, why are there 2.6.30 packages in lenny?
> What I'm currently hoping for is that the package gspca-modules will be
> released for kernel 2.6.30 (and that it will indeed contain the commit I
> desire) - should I?
> I don't think my issue (support for a particular webcam) qualifies as an
> RC bug.
>
> The package I'm looking for (gspca-modules) is not yet in testing or
> unstable. However, the source package it apparently originates from
> (linux-modules-extra), _is_ in testing, at version 2.6.30.
>
> Although Stan posted a lovely guide, I'd prefer to not build my own
> kernel if I can avoid it - this is not for my own PC.
> What I could imagine is installing the linux-2.6.30 binary kernel and
> building my own linux-modules-extra. Would anything (besides gspca) be
> missing if I'm using linux-2.6.30 in lenny?

Hi,

gspca has been inside the kernel since 2.6.27 onward. This is from the
actual Squeeze stock Debian kernel :

grep -i gspca /boot/config-2.6.30-2-amd64
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_CONEX=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_ETOMS=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_FINEPIX=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_MARS=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_MR97310A=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV519=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV534=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC207=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC7311=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXB=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXJ=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA500=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA501=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA505=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA506=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA508=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA561=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ905=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ905C=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_STK014=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SUNPLUS=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_T613=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_TV8532=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_VC032X=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_ZC3XX=m
modprobe -l | grep gspca
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_main.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_conex.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_etoms.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_finepix.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_mars.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_mr97310a.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov519.ko
kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov534.ko
[...]

So from 2.6.27 you don't need any other source package, just userland tools.
If you add debian backport to your sources.list I believe you'll have
access to a 2.6.30 kernel, with gspca compiled as a module most probably.

Hope it helps.

Tom