Re: D-Link's Shareport USB Utility

Hi,

Please note I am just guessing.

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:42:52PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a D-Link router which D-Link's SharePort utility can be
> used with. Unfortunately, this utility seems not to work at all
> under Debian (Lenny). Shareport aims at allowing the OS to use the
> router's USB port. Shareport is built for Windows, but Wine does not
> want to install it correctly, as the installation ends prematurely.
>
> I do not even know how Shareport works. Is there any solution out
> there to allow Debian to look at my router's USB port?

Basically, hardware configuration tools are quite platform specific.  If
you expect it to work under wine, you may not be so lucky.

It is usually better to think about using device than using proprietary
configuration tools.

What do you want to do with that USB port.  Attach HDD? Attach Printer?

Once you know how it communicates with clients, you may find tools to
access it.  My bet is:

 * CUPS for printer
 * SAMBA for HDD

As I understand most of these routers, they can be accessed by HTTP for
their configuration via web page.  Do you know your routers address.
Suppose it is 192.168.0.1 , point your browser to it.  You may need to
read manual to find out password for it.  My router uses:
http://web.setup/ .

Good luck,

Osamu

PS: My router has USB port which can be attached to HDD.  I have not
tried it but it seems it provide files via SAMBA for Linux.