Re: Suggestions for desktop manager: [was Re: Fast booting for a Debian system - and suggestions for said system]

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 05:20:06PM -0500, Preston Boyington wrote:
> Kevin Ross wrote:
> <snipped>
> > If you want auto-login, and fast startup with minimal dependencies, then
> > skip the display manager, change your getty to rungetty and configure it to
> > autologin, and add startx to your ~/.bash_profile.  Then of course you put
> > whatever window manager you want into ~/.xinitrc.
> >
> i did this back when i ran Fluxbox and it worked great.
>
> another option would be 'SLiM' for your login manager.

If you use autologin, gdm is not that bloated. I tried wdm and xdm
before. They lacked features I needed (e.g. for autologin). I also
recall SLiM as missing important (for me) features for a previous
encounter, but don't recall which.

However now that gdm switched to the new sysadmin-unfriendly config
XML format, I reconsider using it.