Re: Grub 1.5 error after update

Frank wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:27:09 +0200
"thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

I still fail to understand what went wrong. After the installation and
reboot which went OK, I picked the chain option and that's  when it all
went downhill.
The chaining from grub-legacy menu to grub2 is just supposed to enable
testing of the grub2 install, it doesn't install anything. One has to
run "upgrade-from-grub-legacy" as root to finish the process, or simply
properly install grub2 in the mbr, and create the config.

  Sorry, but I did run "upgrade-from-grub-legacy" after the chaining boot
went well.

If the boot process failed with the chainloading from grub-legacy, it
means that it would not have been a good idea to finish the process
anyway...
The process didn't fail...which is why I ran the upgrade script.

 Obviously grub-pc is not ready for primetime yet. On the update it
did on my machine, it failed to pick up the Ubuntu installation on another
partition. How did it get migrated to Squeeze ?

The package "os-prober" is taking care of other OS detection, it's
"recommended" but not automatically installed.

   Does that mean maintainers assume you only have one installation ?

I am using grub2 since
Lenny was testing, now on three squeeze, and three Ubuntu, no problem
here. Just got lucky maybe.

  Lucky is right - google problems with Grub2.
Don't get me wrong - it **seems** Grub2 will be an improvement over its
predecessor but, at least in my case and it seems many others it's not quite ready.

I doubt that there's anything wrong with grub2, and it seemed to work OK when chained from grub, as it is doing again here now. It's the upgrade-from-grub-legacy which is the problem, I think. That 'stage 1.5' message should no longer have existed afterwards. My system has everything but /boot on lvm, and it's 64 bit (yes, I do know you can't chroot into 64 bits from 32 bits...now). I don't know if either or both of those things affected the upgrade, but it doesn't seem to have received the testing that one might have hoped for.

I'm on sid, by the way, and have been for some years, and this is the first time it's bitten me badly. I still don't understand why I was unable to fix this from chroot, and that's a bit worrying. In the days of lilo, I could fix a boot problem in ten minutes, and three of those were spent looking for the floppy... and another five reading Unix for Dummies to find out how vi worked again...

--
Joe