Re: Grub 1.5 error after update

Frank wrote:
I have googled the problem but can't make head nor tail of the solutions.

During today's update on my testing machine I was asked whether I wanted to
update to grub2. I said OK - after the re boot I picked the chain option. The
boot went well, so I ran the update-from-grub-legacy script. Now I am getting
Grub 1.5 error and the boot goes nowhere.

I booted a live cd and had a look at grub.cfg but can't make head nor tail of it.

I also don't see any reference in it to the Ubuntu which I have on hda3. Debian
testing is on hda2.

Can anyone help?

I will have to stay in this live cd and may only be able to read on the
web..which I guess is gonna be a problem.

I hate to say this, but you may have a problem. The usual answer to this is to boot into some version of Debian, as you have done, then mount your HD root partition and chroot into it. You can then run commands which can hopefully rebuild the Grub system, or even reinstall it.

The bad news is that I tried that after the attempted update to Grub2, I even tried booting the netinstall CD and installing Grub from there. I even tried installing lilo.

Absolutely nothing worked, I could not get further than that wretched stage1.5 followed by error 15, which is an artifact of the original Grub. Eventually I gave up and let the netinstall run its course, then rebuilt from a dpkg --get-selections which I keep to hand. I'm back on the chain-Grub2-from-Grub and there's no way on Earth I'm going to 'complete' the upgrade again.

I suppose at some point, the updater will force the complete upgrade. By that time, I assume that the netinstall image will install Grub2 from scratch, so I'll backup and reinstall again. Just like Windows...

--
Joe