Re: Grub 1.5 error after update

Charles wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:47:48 +0100
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

[snip...]

>   Well as I said in earlier mail, the Supergrub disk saved my...err..bacon.
>   It allowed me to reinstall Grub, then I purged Grub-pc (grub2) and was
> back in business.
> I still fail to understand what went wrong. After the installation and reboot
> which went OK, I picked the chain option and that's  when it all went downhill.
> My understanding is if the initial reboot goes well, then you pick the chain option
> and that's supposed to finish up the install. Instead what it did was finish my
> boot process:)

The chaining from grub-legacy menu to grub2 is just supposed to enable
testing of the grub2 install, it doesn't install anything. One has to
run "upgrade-from-grub-legacy" as root to finish the process, or simply
properly install grub2 in the mbr, and create the config.
If the boot process failed with the chainloading from grub-legacy, it
means that it would not have been a good idea to finish the process
anyway...

 Obviously grub-pc is not ready for primetime yet. On the update it
> did on my machine, it failed to pick up the Ubuntu installation on another partition.
> How did it get migrated to Squeeze ?

The package "os-prober" is taking care of other OS detection, it's
"recommended" but not automatically installed. I am using grub2 since
Lenny was testing, now on three squeeze, and three Ubuntu, no problem
here. Just got lucky maybe.

Tom