Re: Grub 1.5 error after update

On Monday 21 September 2009 09:49:39 Frank wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:27:09 +0200
> "thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > The package "os-prober" is taking care of other OS detection, it's
> > "recommended" but not automatically installed.
>
>    Does that mean maintainers assume you only have one installation ?

Since grub-pc does not *require* os-prober to be installed to function, having
the co-installation enforced by the package manager would be inappropriate.

Recommends relationships are the strongest relationship that is not strictly
enforced by the package manager.  In the default configuration aptitude (the
recommended package manager) installs Recommends.  The relevant configuration
key is Aptitude::Recommends-Important.

It has been a long time since I used apt-get, but I believe the same is true
of it; at the very least a message is shown to the user recommending the
installation of os-prober.

So, the maintainers are assuming that at least one user would like to use
GRUB2 without os-prober, which seems a safe assumption.  (I only have one
installation on my home PC, so you can count me as that user if you'd like.)