Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

> OK, thanks for confirming, so I could cheat the installer by copying over
> the passwd and group files after partitioning is done and go on with the
> system install. Then apply set-selection and after this migrate the config
> and data files from the old system. Correct?
>
> this looks to be a compact way to do the job. The only thing that should
> be migrated in this case are databases, Correct?
>
> How can the above be applied to debootstrap - it's my favorite one for
> installing new systems. I'm testing this now and will report if it works.
> The start was promissing

It's working!

shell>>> :/tmp# mkdir testdeb
shell>>> :/tmp# mkdir testdeb/etc
shell>>> :/tmp# cp /etc/passwd* testdeb/etc/
shell>>> :/tmp# cp /etc/group* testdeb/etc/
shell>>> :/tmp# debootstrap --verbose lenny testdeb/
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
I: Checking component main on http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian...
I: Retrieving adduser
I: Validating adduser
I: Retrieving apt
I: Validating apt
I: Retrieving zlib1g
I: Validating zlib1g
I: Extracting base-files...
I: Extracting base-passwd...
I: Extracting bash...
I: Extracting zlib1g...
I: Installing core packages...
I: Unpacking required packages...
I: Unpacking base-files...
I: Unpacking base-passwd...
I: Unpacking bash...
I: Base system installed successfully.
shell>>> :/tmp# chroot testdeb/ sh -
shell>>> :/# apt-get install exim4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  bsd-mailx exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light liblockfile1 libpcre3
mailx perl perl-modules psmisc
Suggested packages:
  mail-reader eximon4 exim4-doc-html exim4-doc-info gnutls-bin openssl file
libmail-spf-query-perl swaks perl-doc
  libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl
  bsd-mailx exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light liblockfile1
libpcre3 mailx perl perl-modules psmisc
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9993kB of archives.
After this operation, 33.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main liblockfile1 1.08-3 [18.6kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main exim4-config 4.69-9 [350kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main exim4-base 4.69-9 [987kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main libpcre3 7.6-2.1 [211kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main exim4-daemon-light 4.69-9 [422kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main exim4 4.69-9 [7478B]
Get:7 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main bsd-mailx 8.1.2-0.20071201cvs-3
[157kB]
Get:8 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main perl-modules 5.10.0-19lenny2
[3198kB]
Get:9 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main perl 5.10.0-19lenny2 [4549kB]
Get:10 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main psmisc 22.6-1 [84.7kB]
Get:11 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main mailx 1:20071201-3 [8260B]
Fetched 9993kB in 32s (311kB/s)
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Selecting previously deselected package liblockfile1.
(Reading database ... 7941 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking liblockfile1 (from .../liblockfile1_1.08-3_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package exim4-config.
Unpacking exim4-config (from .../exim4-config_4.69-9_all.deb) ...
Setting up liblockfile1 (1.08-3) ...
Setting up exim4-config (4.69-9) ...
shell>>> :/# cat /etc/passwd | grep exim4
Debian-exim:x:102:108::/var/spool/exim4:/bin/false

shell>>> :/# exit

The Exim ID is the same as expected, so migration of exim related files will
cause no pain. The same for common user files.

What about database files. Is there something related to 64bit (I could
expect) that would suggest export / import or backup / restore?

regards