Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Sven Joachim schreef:
On 2009-09-16 15:57 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

Kept thinking a bit longer: are the uids and gids of daemon users
actually determined during install? My experience is that these users
actually preserve their uid over installations quite well.

This is only true for users with a UID < 100, as these are defined and
maintained by the base-passwd package.  System users with a higher UID
get their UID and GID allocated at package installation time and use the
first ones that are available.  So these vary greatly between systems.
Then I learned something. Thanks for the info.