Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2009-09-16 13:46 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day schreef:
> >>   i've mentioned this before, but by the end of this week, i want to
> >> move my entire current (fully-updated) lenny install from an old
> >> 32-bit system to a new 64-bit dell server, and i'm open to advice on
> >> the easiest and most error-free way to do that.
> >>
> >>   i've already duplicated the software packages on the new server, so
> >> what's left is to transfer over the remainder of the configuration --
> >> mail server, web server, user accounts, etc.  the whole ball of wax.
> >>
> >>   since both systems have webmin, someone suggested doing a webmin
> >> backup on the old system, then just restoring it on the new one, which
> >> makes a certain amount of sense as long as webmin can be trusted to
> >> reproduce configuration info accurately.

> > Why not just copy /etc, /home, /root and /var, and make sure you
> > do not follw symlinks in copying. That should do.
>
> No, at least you need to leave out /var/lib/{dpkg,apt}.  And you
> have to be careful to preserve file ownership -- the uids and gids
> of system users and groups may differ.

  right, see my previous post.  i already have the new running system,
so i don't want to overwrite install or log information with content
from the *old* system.  (is it just me, or does anyone else think that
/var has gotten a bit chaotic in that respect?)

rday