Re: what is the role of release.gpg

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:28:22PM +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the role of Release.gpg in the debian site like for example
> http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/Release.gpg

The cryptographic signature file "Release.gpg" is created from the
authentic top level "Release" file and the secret Debian archive key.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_top_level_release_file_and_authenticity

> If I want to create a repository from the CD1, which doesn't contains
> Release.gpg,  is it possible to add and how.
> The reason for the message is that I want to create a repository to install
> on several machine the CD1, by using PXE.
> It fails when it searches for the Release file, so I suspect  the absence
> Release.gpg is responsible.

You can create it with your secret gpg key.  You certainly need to add that
key to enable secure-apt.   But trouble of doing it may be beyond you
for now.  I think disabling secure apt from console shell may be easier
way.

Please seek help from install guide and may example for creating
secure-apt compatible archive:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_local_copies_of_the_fetched_packages

Osamu