Re: what is the role of release.gpg

Release.gpg is a signed signature for Release file in the repository.
Apt checking this signature to own trust db. You can create a signature for
Release with:

  gpg -bas -o Release.gpg Release

which defined in the http://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt page. After than
you should add your public key to apt's trust db with apt-key. Now you have
a security apt repository. Look the wiki page for more information.