Re: Can't write iso image to cd [2.6.30]

Rob Gom wrote:
Hi there,
I can't write iso image to blank cd under Linux. Under windows xp the
same works fine.
I tried:
a) k3b with wodim (Debian default)
b) k3b with upstream cdrtools
c) brasero (uses wodim by default)
d) upstream cdrecord from command line

I have the following dvd writer:
~# hdparm -i /dev/sr0
/dev/sr0:
Model=HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GH50N                 , FwRev=B102    ,
SerialNo=K3997G74144
(upgraded fw from B101 when it failed)

End of the cdrecord log:
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 69
Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Limited
Manufacturer is guessed because of the orange forum embargo.
The orange forum likes to get money for recent information.
The information for this media may not be correct.

    Capacity  Blklen/Sparesz.  Format-type  Type
           0             2048         0x00  No Media Present or Unknown Capacity
Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 334298
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 48 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
BURN-Free is OFF.
Turning BURN-Free on
Performing OPC...
Sending CUE sheet...
/opt/cdrtools-orig/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec
(0) using -150
Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    0 of   49 MB written./opt/cdrtools-orig/bin/cdrecord:
Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 01 17 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 2A 00 00 80 30 05 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.003s timeout 200s

write track data: error after 571392 bytes
/opt/cdrtools-orig/bin/cdrecord: A write error occured.
/opt/cdrtools-orig/bin/cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
Writing  time:   24.405s
Average write speed  14.0x.
Fixating...
Fixating time:    0.004s
/opt/cdrtools-orig/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 73 puts and 10 gets.
/opt/cdrtools-orig/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 3 times
full, min fill was 93%.

I have also tried disabling hal and had no luck.
I have searched web extensively. Found magnitude of threads, concluding:
- user error
- wodim errors, suggesting using cdrtools instead
- kernel regression (2.6.29->2.6.30, however reporter didn't say enough)

What else can I do? I can wait for 2.6.31 and see if it helps. But I
would like not to waste too much cds ...

Regards,
Robert

I'd suggest to try using a brandname CD (physical medium) and see if the errors persist.